Last night I finally got a chance to call one of my hospital roommates of 4 1/2 days. He was the gentleman who had a similar diagnosis to mine but his cancer was much more aggressive. He was diagnosed a week after me and the doctors went back and forth on whether he should have a surgery or not. They finally decided not to do the surgery but rather jump right into Chemo. He and I had the same doctor-Dr. Belzer. His body reacted poorly to chemo so they pulled him off it. He ended up back in the hospital because some of his bodily functions weren’t working right. The night he was admitted we talked for awhile and later he told me that the doctors told him he had 6 months to live if he did nothing. He told me he hoped I would never have to hear those words. He then explained that over the next few days he and his family would be trying to make a decision on whether to continue the fight and face another type of chemo or live out his remaining months medicated but at home under the care of Hospice.
Monday-Thursday of that week I spent every afternoon with he and his family. Monday was weighing the options day. Tuesday was decision day-he chose to not fight the cancer anymore, but go for 6 months of quality life. Wednesday of that week was Hospice and filling out all of the documents on the choices he was making. Thursday was his release day. Before he left I asked him for his phone number and told him I would give him a call once I got released. Thursday of that week was my toughest day in the hospital. I got up enough strength to get out of my bed and shake his hand before he left. His name was James LeBlanc and he died 3 1/2 days after that hand shake. He was 67 years old.
His wife Sandy and I still had a great conversation last night even after she delivered the shocking news. Sandy and the rest of his family are great! They kind of adopted me into their family as I was apart of his last week. James even tried to look out for me while we were in the hospital. He was the one who told the Hospital Chaplin to visit with me. Sandy asked me to stay in touch and I told her I would call her next week to see how she was doing.
It was shocking, sickening news on how deadly cancer can be, and 24 hours later I am still trying to process it.
Please say a prayer for Sandy and the rest of their family for peace tonight.