Colon Cancer Awareness

Hey all,

Sorry for no posts for the past week, plus.  I wanted Sarah’s message to stay front and center for awhile.  Our fund raising for our event April 19th is going well.  We are still the number one team for team participants and in overall donations.  Thank you so much for your support.  This disease is very preventable and curable in its early stages.  March is Colon Cancer awareness month, so it is time to do my part.   At age 50 insurance companies are nice enough to pay for your colonoscopies.  50 is one of those magic numbers-90% of all colon cancer patients are 50 years and older, I’m just one of those unlucky one’s in the other 10%.  A colonoscopy takes about two hours to have done.  During the procdure you are essentially knocked out.  During the procedure the doctors explore your insides looking for little polyps that could turn cancerous.  If they find a polyp, they simply just snip it off during the procedure and you feel nothing.  The hardest part about the whole thing is the prep (basically clean your system with liquids and chemicals).  If you do this procedure you won’t get colon cancer (yes I am sure there are exceptions for every rule), but the odds are all in your favor.  If you get a clean bill of health(no polyps) you don’t ahve to do it again for another 10 years-that being said I wouldn’t have quite that faith and would probably do it every 5 years.  The doctors tell me that my cancer grew inside me 10 years before it ever howed any signs that it was there-so I would go with every 5.  I would have loved to have the opportunity to prevent this cancer.  So if you are one of the lucky one’s who are close to, at, or over age 50-GET A COLONOSCOPY!  You don’t want what I have-believe me.

I have been doing pretty well.  The first round back on chemo went well.  I was worn out and nauseated for 4 days, but overall not bad.  I didn’t get all the side effects the doctors thought I would get-of course that was just the first round.  In two days I go for the second round and this one they add a 4th chemical to the regiment.   The next chemical is Avastin which is unlike any other chemical I have received in the past, so all bets are off on this one.   There is a bit of a debate between my nurses and doctor concerning hair loss.  My nurses feel that I won’t have total hair loss, my doctor is not so sure.  Only time will tell.  Either way works for me as long as it does a number on the remaining 6 tumors on the Liver.

A special “thanks” needs to be said to Marie and Joyce Berger.  These ladies are amazing and someday soon I will actually meet them face to face!  They have supported myself and my family through all of this.  They are actually cousins, I believe, of my mother-in-law Dianne.  I received a card last month stating that my name had been placed at the alter of St. Jude at the National Shrine of St. Jude.  All those enrolled are remembered in Masses and prayers of The Claretians all over the world.  So a special thanks to Marie and Joyce and Father Mark Brummel.  Marie and Joyce decided to join us on “race day” for our 5k walk.  So I will finally get to meet them in person that day.

Thank you all for your continued support, thoughts and prayers.  It really makes a difference in our lives!

Chris

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

One response to “Colon Cancer Awareness

  1. Beth Gould

    Thinking of you…..sending my love!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s