From Chemo to the ER

Chemo didn’t go so well last Thursday.  My blood numbers weren’t too bad.  Actually my Bilirubin number came back down to the normal range, meaning that the Liver is doing much better.  The doctor was encouraged by those numbers so he increased my dosage.  After I went home though I started to feel a bit chilled.  I decided to go to bed at 9 p.m.  I woke up at 11 p.m. and had a fever of 103.  At that point I am supposed to call the doctor.  I decided to try and make it through the night and see what my fever was Friday morning.  Friday morning my fever was at 102 and the doctors were not too happy with me.  I then was told to report to the ER and told I would be admitted.  So I drove myself to Methodist hospital and checked myself in.  They ran 3 different types of blood tests and did a chest xray.  All of that found nothing.  My fever decreased to about 100 by noon.  The doc’s were not sure what to do with me so they were going to call Dr. Duane.  He asked me what I thought.  I told them I was fine with them admitting me to the hospital and filling me up with fluids and antibiotics.  So for the 3rd Summer in a row I woke up in a hospital bed on Saturday morning.  There were familiar faces on my floor.  My RN was one of the one’s I had two years prior.  My RNA walked in and said, “Back again?”  I also recognized two more RNA’s and one other RN.  They were all friendly and helpful.  The good news is that by the time they actually got me to my room, my fever was gone.  It never went back up again.  So on Saturday I was telling them I would go home and eventually they too agreed.  I think the on-call oncologist called it something along the lines of a miraculous hospital healing-basically just getting into the hospital healed whatever I had.  One last thing, before I left an IV nurse blew out my vein when she pulled the IV.  Basically it meant my arm was blowing up like a balloon as blood pooled beneath the skin.  That nurse didn’t notice it and left.  I didn’t notice it either.  I got dressed and was ready to walk out when I saw I had a problem.  I showed my RN and she looked at me with a depressed expression and told me I would have to stay.   I put ice on it for 10 minutes and the swelling went down right away.  I then tried to find my nurse-no luck.  I then tried to Page my nurse-no one came.  So I wrote them a note and walked out with my ice pack on my hand.  It is just a major challenge to get out of those places once they get you in.

All of that has left me tired and fatigued.  My doc’s said I am still on schedule for my next chemo on July 28th.  Now it is time for me to get up and get my strength and energy back again.  I just keep getting knocked down but God just seems to give me just enough strength to get back on my feet and keep going.

Let’s see-two weekends in a row in the ER.  I am hoping and praying that there won’t be a third.  I ask that when you say a prayer for me this week, that you also say a prayer for my friend Burl(that is Pat Groeper’s husband).  He continues to battle for his life against Lymphoma in Chicago.  Pat was the one who threw the Baty Bash for us-Burl was in attendance.




Filed under Uncategorized

2 responses to “From Chemo to the ER

  1. I’ll keep praying for you–you have to keep up the good work–I know your’re doing all that you can, but with Gods’ help, you’ll do more! Hope to see you in Sept.

  2. Michele Swing

    Hey Chris-my Mom and Pat keep me up to date with everything that is going on with you! I keep you and your family in my prayers. I am happy to hear you are consulting with Dr. Leach, I really liked him and I think he is the best! Sorry I missed your party as we have moved to the south.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s